Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Aggressive play Good...Sometimes Bad

I checked out the local Horse Track/PokerRoom and it was impressive to say the least. They
are running quite an operation at Rockingham Park. I had this idea back in 2002 when they decided to shut down the live horse racing. I mean...it's already setup for a card room really....all that's missing is the carpeting. The place was packed...lots of old timers and "kidpokerpros". Funny thing...I graduated high school with two of the guys who work for/own BayStatePoker. I got to talking with them and rumor has it Rockingham Park may expand the poker room hours to the whole weekend and more! I say rumor because it hasn't been decided on yet. They run a great tournament....breaks weren't too long or too short. The dealers were all very knowledgeable. The structures for the tourneys are also good. I played in the 40.00-Re buy tourney and you start with T2,000. You can re buy for either 20.00 or 40.00 for T1,000 or T2,000. There are also a ton of Sit'n'Gos up to 150.00! That's a bit much for me but the 40.00 Sit'n'Go sounds doable. I didn't play any ring-games but every single table seemed to be full. The bets can only go 1-2 because of local laws but hey....who am I to complain about that? They also had Bernard Lee there for Poker coaching/lessons. I met the guy and he is an extremely nice guy and apparently is tearing up the tournament circuit lately.
So I bought in to the 40.00 dollar re buy at about 6:00PM. The first table is always the longest in the tournament so to my left was "Kid PartyPoker"-didn't look old enough to drink a beer ...to his left was some guy I can't remember...to his left was the gambling Grandma (don't we all have one of those!)...to her left was this middle-aged guy who said "I don't trust you" when he saw me observing the way he played a hand....to his left was some sideways hat goofball....to his left was a young guy that was afraid to lose his first buy-in (I told him to re buy but I don't think he understood the way it works-he also told everybody what his hand was in one way or the other)...to his left was a guy that looked like...well I don't know...I'll just call him Donald Trump (good player...I've played against him in a tournament before)...to his left was a middle-aged woman who gambles a lot (pretty good player but she was forced off of a lot of hands)...to her left and my right was a late 20's guy that played pretty well. "Kid PartyPoker" next to me was running over the table for a good hour...he had a huge stack of chips...he caught trips when he played small pairs and an ace when he played any ace so he was doing well. I talked to him about Internet sites and he seems to have a good grasp on the re buy-tourney strategy as opposed to the kid that was extremely passive. I took down a few key pots with 7h/2h (got the flush on the river) and got gambling grandma to go all-in with trips. She re bought 3 times or so. I took down another big pot with K's. The guy who "didn't trust me" went all-in with Ax-Qx...and didn't catch. The biggest pot of the night was me taking out two people after the Add-on break. I was in late position...the Guy "who didn't trust me" raised....sideways hat goofball went all-in....and I looked down at Ah-As...so naturally I went over the top and went all-in. The guy "who didn't trust me" (sounds like a James Bond Movie) called all-in with 9c-10c and the sideways-hat goofball had 9d-Jd (Two great A's cracking hands). I was a little freaked out about that but after all the cards came out I knocked out two people and chipped up big time. I moved to the last two tables after that. I took out another guy who had A-x and went all-in with his last 3,500 or so. I had Ah-Qh so I called and got my flush on the turn. I had about T23,000 at this time so I was looking good for the final table. I should have raised a couple of pre-flop pots on the second-to-last table to build up the chip stack but we weren't there for long (50-something entered...probably less than 55 and 5 placed were paid...1,200.00 for first place down to 150.00 for 5th).
The final table : to my left was an older guy who seemed knowledgeable about the game (as that would haunt me later)...to his left was this old curmudgeonly dude (imagine ol' man Withers in any Scooby-Doo episode who proves to be the criminal mastermind and is "Foiled again by you meddling kids!")...to his left was some middle aged Italian/Greek guy I think...I'm not sure but his accent was hard to peg (He kept getting called out for string bets...so I think he was lucky to be there)...to his left was the tourney chip leader (Cocky dude who was pretty drunk....but I would have been that way if I had the stack of chips too)....to his left was 'Donald Trump'....to his left was some old dude (Sopranos character for sure who I've played against in tournaments before)....to his left was a guy who got knocked out on the first hand...to his left and my right was a guy about my age who was REALLY patient (that would haunt me eventually also). I basically made one bad steal-the-blinds move at the wrong time. The guy to my left had Kx-Qx in the SB. The old curmudgeonly guy had 7x-7x in the BB....I had the 'Jackhammer' Jx-4x and I decided to raise 3X the BB which was 2,000 at the time....guy next to me goes all-in and prevents the BB from going all-in (as the old curmudgeonly guys with pockets pairs and short stacks will do..try to fold to the money). I called the SB for about 4,000 more and I caught a 4 on the flop. He catches a K on the river...fuck me.....I was crippled by that steal. My mistake is apparent. Don't bluff the short stacks with a slightly bigger stack. Anyway as the story goes the old curmudgeonly guy yells at me "What are you doing raising me! You darn whippersnapper!" and I simply said "Why are you yelling at me when you had a short-stack and didn't call with a pocket pair?" He would have caught a set as a 7x fell on the flop also!. I get yelled at by old guys who play NL and hate aggressive play and Old Asian ladies when playing Blackjack. Old curmudgeonly guy goes out 7th and I go out 6th. The last hand I was down to T6,000 which at the time was the BB. I had Kx-6x and went all-in under-the-gun (I really didn't want to be in the Blind for my last hand) everybody folded except the BB who (patient guy next to me) had Kx-8x...and to honestly we both caught two pair....my K's and 6's and his K's and 8's....can you say "Bubble-Bitch?"

No comments: